In the world of men's fashion, the trench coat stands as a timeless symbol of style and sophistication. Whether you're striding through the city streets or attending a formal event, the right trench coat can elevate your look to new heights. But here lies the quintessential dilemma: short vs long trench coats. Each length offers its own unique flair and functionality, making the choice far from straightforward. In this exploration, we'll dive into the nuances of short and long trench coats, helping you discover which style aligns perfectly with your personal aesthetic and lifestyle needs. Prepare to unravel the mystery of these iconic garments and make an informed decision that enhances your wardrobe.
Do you already know how long a trench coat you want? Then it's time to choose the fabric and add the details:
|LONG TRENCH COATS
|SHORT TRENCH COATS
GianlucaAla blue trench
We are not talking about your traditional World War II trench coat that tends to be more light weight which was designed to protect consumers from the wind and rain. As fashion has progressed, trench coats are available in a variety of styles and materials as their use has changed to appear more sophisticated rather than military. Heavier materials such as cotton are more on trend now, giving that look of elegance and a range of colours are available too, like beige, khaki, tan etc. The one-trend trench coats worn by men tend to be very neutral or monotone colours that can adhere to more outfits. The trench coat is however unisex; the fit is different depending on the sex or the style you would want to go for.
View this post on Instagram
"Trench is always a good choice" @adembayalan. Thanks for the picture. Made to Measure trench coats at Hockerty.com . . . . #men #menswear #trenchcoat #gabardina #outfit #ootd #model #blogger #instafashion #l4l #fashionista #fashioninsta #fashionaddict #fashion #moda #modamasculina
Adem Bayalan classic trench coat over a suit
Short Trench Coats
Characteristics and Style of Short Trench Coats
Short trench coats, typically ending above the knee, offer a modern twist on the classic trench. Known for their versatility and youthful appeal, these coats blend functionality with a contemporary edge. They often feature the traditional elements like epaulettes, gun flaps, and a belted waist, but with a more streamlined and fitted silhouette.
Ideal Occasions and Outfits for a Short Trench Coat
Short trench coats shine in casual and semi-formal settings. They are perfect for layering over a casual t-shirt and jeans for a relaxed weekend look or paired with smart-casual attire for work. During transitional weather, a short trench serves as an ideal outer layer, offering style without the bulk.
Pros and Cons of Opting for a Short Trench Coat
- Enhanced Mobility: The shorter length makes it easier to move around, ideal for active lifestyles.
- Contemporary Style: They offer a more modern and youthful look compared to their longer counterparts.
- Versatility: Easily pairs with various outfits, from casual to semi-formal.
- Less Coverage: Offers less protection in rainy or windy weather.
- Limited Formality: May not be suitable for very formal occasions.
Long Trench Coats
The Classic Appeal of Long Trench Coats
Long trench coats, extending below the knee, are synonymous with elegance and timelessness. These coats are distinguished by their classic cut and sophisticated appearance, often featuring a double-breasted design, a belt to cinch the waist, and a back vent for ease of movement.
When and How to Best Wear a Long Trench Coat
Ideal for formal events and professional settings, long trench coats add an air of sophistication to any outfit. They pair beautifully with a suit or overcoat for business occasions or with a smart casual ensemble for an upscale evening out. In colder weather, they offer additional warmth and protection, making them a practical yet stylish choice.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Long Trench Coats
- Classic Elegance: Provides a refined and polished look.
- Weather Protection: Offers more coverage against elements like wind and rain.
- Versatility in Formal Settings: Suitable for a range of formal and semi-formal occasions.
- Restricted Movement: The longer length can sometimes hinder mobility.
- Risk of Overpowering: Might not suit shorter body types, as it can overwhelm the frame.
- Climate Specific: Can be too warm for mild weather conditions.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Between Short and Long Trench Coats
Choosing the right trench coat is more than a fashion statement; it's about understanding what works best for your body type, personal style, lifestyle, and the climate you reside in. This section is dedicated to guiding you through these essential factors, helping you make an informed decision between short and long trench coats.
Body Type and Fit
- Short Trench Coats are often more flattering for shorter or athletic body types, as they don't overwhelm the figure.
- Long Trench Coats work well for taller individuals, offering a streamlined and elegant look.
- Fit is crucial; ensure that the coat complements your body without being too tight or too loose.
Personal Style and Lifestyle
- If your style leans towards modern and edgy, a short trench coat may be more appropriate.
- For a classic and timeless look, consider a long trench coat.
- Consider your daily activities: Do you need ease of movement, or is a sophisticated look more important?
Climate and Practicality
- Short Trench Coats are suitable for milder climates and offer more mobility.
- Long Trench Coats provide better protection against the elements, ideal for colder or wetter climates.
- Factor in the practicality of each length for your local weather conditions.
let's see some examples
The classic Trench Coat of Tom Hardy
Tom Hardy is a British actor known for his acting in many blockbuster films and recently playing a big role in our favourite, Peaky Blinders. Of screen, Hardy manages to keep cool and put together persona with his iconic beige trench coat that he often wears, even recently to a red carpet event. This colour and material is probably the most common trench coat you will find however with only 8 buttons, as it is shorter, and a buckle around the waist to give more shape to the coat. This coat, in particular, has a lot of detail with its collar and above the shoulders straps that match the straps on his cuffs, embellished with large black buttons. The look overall is classic and subtle.
David Beckham Beige Long Trench Coat
David Beckham, former professional footballer also known for his amazing looks off the pitch, is loved by the masses for the many teams he has played for in his years but his also candid fashion. He is someone who likes to take time to get ready with his hair gelled back immaculately and his well-groomed beard showing off his jawline. When it comes to fashion he pairs almost every outfit with a different trench coat, however, unlike Kanye, sticks to the classic black and beige that balances his overall fashion sense consisting of the same colour pallet. Beckham adopts a more tightfitting and extremely short trench coat, like in the picture above, but he adds his own flare to his outfit, wearing it buttoned up with the collar propped up making him appear edgy and smart. He also can pull off a different trench coat entirely, while looking just as well-dressed… There are also long trench coats which are single breasted, then we use to call them mac coats.
David Beckham Black Short Trench Coat
All these outfits from very different celebs can give a lot of inspiration, and help decide what kind of look you want to go for. If it came to my advice, I think anyone can pull of a trench coat; it really doesn’t matter if it is long, short, black or embellished. The trench coat is one of the most adaptable pieces of clothing that can be added to finish of every outwear outfit for every occasion and is a must have in every man’s wardrobe.
|DISCOVER SHORT TRENCH COATS
|DISCOVER LONG TRENCH COATS
FAQs on Choosing Between Short and Long Trench Coats
In this section, we'll address common questions about choosing and styling short and long trench coats.
How should a trench coat fit depending on its length?
- Regardless of length, the coat should fit well on the shoulders and allow for comfortable layering without being too bulky.
Can both short and long trench coats be styled for different occasions?
- Yes, both can be versatile. Short coats are great for casual settings, while long coats can be more suitable for formal events.
What are the best colors for short and long trench coats?
- Neutral colors like beige, black, and navy are versatile for both lengths. The choice depends on personal preference and wardrobe compatibility.
How do weather conditions influence the choice between short and long trench coats?
- Short coats are better for light rain and milder weather, while long coats offer more protection in heavier rain and colder temperatures.
Are there specific materials to consider for short vs long trench coats?
- Water-resistant materials are key for both, but you might want a lighter fabric for short coats and a heavier, insulated fabric for long coats.